Monday, September 20, 2010

Sep 19th 2010 take 2!

Another early start for the 8 hour tour day - at long last I get to go to the top of New Zealand.
Something I have wanted to do my whole life.
Boarded the bus and "Spike" said I would be helping him clean the bus later on - like hell was the answer he got,
but it set us up for a fun day.  All ages on this trip as they combined their 3 tour options onto one bus instead
of have 3 busses out on the road with only a few people on it.  They handled that really well and made sure all
age groups got what they wanted.
We started with an hour and a half drive then morning tea,  picked up some old favorites - caramel square, chicken sandwich and
yup a flake bar, ahh to be home.
Then on to 90 mile beach.  We have had such storms that the Tasman Sea was just raging.  Spike said he had never see the beach like
this.  The sea foam was huge and the rouge waves came in and the drive through them was just so exciting.  90 mile beach isn't actually 90 miles,
its 64 miles!  Will remember the story and add it in later. 
We were going to the spot to park the bus on the beach but along the way we passed another bus that was stuck in the sand.  Spike wanted to help
get him out but couldn't stop in the same space cause he was worried we too would get stuck - so he drove a bit further down hooked up the toe line
and then drove back and did circles until the guys could hitch it to their bumper and tadaaa one bus unstuck.  We went further down the beach and parked to go down to try and dig for pipi's but no chance of doing that - way too windy. 
Off to the sand doons - ahhhhh what fun, of course I was the first one to say yup I was doing it.  Even with all the different age groups onboard there was on 4 of us game enough.  1 young guy around 21, 1 young Japanese girl, 1 crazy travel agent and 1 older lady.  Off we went,  the climb almost killed me but knowing how much fun I would have I kept going.  At the top Spike went over the rules again, not much to it - hold on, don't let go and dig your toes in.  Sounds simple enough huh!  So the older lady went first,  she got half way down and wiped out, she went one way and her glasses flew off the other way.  Great I get to go next.  The slide path we were going down was straight down and if you went fast enough you would go over a small stream and land on the bank on the other side.  So far everyone from the other busses hadn't made it so was feeling a little nervous.  But off I went (with an additional push from Spike!  Thanks!)  oh it was so much fun,  hit the bumpy part one had came off but grabbed the boogie board again, dug my toes in and sailed across the stream and was yelling at the people bank to move as I was heading right for them.  Whoot Whoot for me I did it - so still feeling the thrill I went up again along with the lady who had wiped out,  she had sliced her nose with her glasses and given herself a black eye but up she went but only half way this time.  I got to the top and just reminded myself how much fun it was.  Off I went and this time stopped right in the stream but was still impressed.  Sandy, cold, wet and laughing my face off we got back on the bus and headed toward Cape Reagiga.  We were asked to eat and drink all we wanted on the bus and to please not take anything onto the path to the lighthouse as it would draw bad sprits.  New Zealand believes the top of the island is where the sprits go to say goodbye to family and the country and then onto the spirit life.  
What an amazing place - yes a sunny non windy day would have been amazing but with the fierce winds, wild Tasman and Pacific Ocean meeting it made it exciting experience that I will never forget.  At the lighthouse I shed a tear or two for the family and friends that have passed and then another one as I looked at the sign post and saw Vancouver pointing in the direction of home.  I went off the path,  being a rebel again, and felt the true power of mother natures wind.  As I joined the path back to the bus I meet up again with another couple from our bus.  He is a kiwi and his girlfriend is from Scotland.  He had spent most of the day trying to engage me in a debate about how awful America is,  I had asked where in the USA he had been and only to LA was his answer.  Told him that I know many Americans and they are amazing and the land is wonderful.  He was very insulting with his comments on a bus full of American tourists - but I digress - on the walk back his lady asked when I was going back to Vancouver,  I said I was going home on Sunday - well he went off - how could I call myself a kiwi and call Canada home.  Well enough is enough I turned to him and said I was here to enjoy my country and not to debate politics.  Can he lover his mother and his father and that's how I feel about my countries I love them both just like a mother and father or a brother and a sister.  Walked off and could hear his other half letting loose on him.  As he got on the bus he did apologize to me and in the good higher sprit I told him "No Worries Mate".
We had lunch and made a stop at the Kaui Store - nice place to see but no way in hell could I every afford the things they have in there.  Nest stop the Kaui forest. 
So amazing to see these thousand year old trees.  So happy they are doing their best to save them.
Another couple of hours and we were back in Pihia.  Carla had arrived so we went to my room and talked about our days and had a couple of drinks.  Early dinner and then off to bed as we both have another early start.  Turns out Carla will be on the same tour I did today and Spike will be the guide again.  She will have a blast and Spike was going to take care of her.
Note about the Kingsgate - well it is in a good location,  it is under construction.  Carla's room was in the block that has been done and is very nice.  Mine is still in the "to be done" area,  I do however have a little kitchen and that was nice for a cuppa tea first thing in the morning.  The internet is only in the Lobby and you only get 20 min free a day.  People are very nice and yes I would stay there again.
Moving onto Monday 

No comments:

Post a Comment